(Oct. 2- 8 ): Technology for Social Studies
- Identify what virtual field trips are
- Identify how to plan and use virtual field trips
- Create their own virtual field trips
Things To Do
- Watch a Video: Virtual Field Trip to Tenement Museum in NYC!
The video describes 4th graders in Ms. Ross’s class in Cold Spring Elementary school located in Maryland went on a virtual field trip to Tenement museum in New York City. Students and Ms. Ross explained some benefits and glitches of the VFT.
This article describes (a) what a virtual field trip (VFT) is, (b) two types of VFT, (c) benefits and limitations of using VFT, and (d) how to plan and use a VFT.
3. Review PPT: Let’s Go on Virtual Field Trips!
After watching the video and reading the article, review the PPT. It summarizes key information you need when using VFT for teaching your students. It also provides suggestions for how to support students with learning difficulties during VFT, some activity ideas, and resources.
4. Activity: DIY#3: Create Own Virtual Field Trip
In this assignment, you will create your own VFT. Download the directions and follow each step.
As you did for DIY#2 Digital Photo Story, you will need to upload your VFT in the Laulima forum by Oct. 29 (Sun), 11:55 PM. There will be small groups within the forum and you need to upload the VFT in the folder your name is on. When you upload it, write a comment about your project. In your comment, describe the process of making the VFT and how you could use this type of process with students. You can comment on what the challenges and/or fun parts of this process were as well.
By Nov. 5 (Sun), watch VFTs of the others in your small group. Write a comment to each person in your small group about their project/process.
<Download for Use>
- Activity Directions
- Graphic Organizer for the activity (Optional)
- A list of VFT sites (Select and explore one of the sites)
- DIY#3 Create own VFT template
- Video Tutorial 1
- Video Tutorial 2
- VFT examples created by other students
<If you use Google Slides>
- I would recommend using “PowerPoint, not Google Slides. However, if you do not have a paid version of PowerPoint program, you can still use Google Slides for this project. Please watch the video.
- Remember that you need to do (1) insert a picture and hyperlink it to each slide (e.g., Artifact 1 picture–> Artifact 1 slide) and (2) do not download the file to submit; share the LINK (copy and paste)
- Google Slides template: Please make sure you “make a copy” of the file to develop your project. DO NOT use the original template file.
- You can pick your own topic, but I strongly would recommend exploring the pre-developed VFT sties on the list. Those are good VFT sites, so you may be able to use the site in the future. 🙂
If you have any questions or need help, please contact me! 🙂
Assignments & Important Dates