Week 4 (Sept. 11-17): Technology for Reading
Gain an understanding of technology for supporting reading
Things To Do
- Watch the video: Meet Joe!
Joe is an 11th grader who is very interested in math and technology. Joe has learning disabilities and uses various types of technology to help him succeed in school. In this video, he shares some of the apps and programs that he uses for reading. You will see how technology can support students who struggle with reading.
- Review Website: Technology for Reading
The website introduces various technology tools that can support the reading of diverse students. I want you to know what technology tools are available, so you can use the knowledge for your students who struggle with reading. Visit the websites and watch the videos provided on the site.
- Hands-on Activities: Exploring 7 Technology Tools for Reading
Let’s explore seven technology tools introduced in the “Technology for Reading” website. Those are free, but valuable tools that can support students who struggle with reading. Download the directions and follow each step to explore each tool.
- Read and Write Gold for Google Chrome: Directions
- UDL Book Builder & Tar Heel Reader: Directions
- Natural Reader & Built-in Text-to-Speech: Directions
- Mercury Reader
- Text Compactor
- Go to http://textcompactor.com
- Follow steps 1 -3.
4. Optional: Read Chapter 3: Assistive Technology to Support Reading (Assistive Technology in the Classroom, written by Dell, Newton, & Petroff)
Assignments & Important Dates
|Work on the “week 4 question (Q8)” in Weekly Reflection #1.
Complete Weekly Reflection #1 and submit it by Sept. 17 (Sun), 11:55 PM.
To submit your Weekly Reflection #1, Go to Laulima -> Assignments -> Weekly Reflection #1
Start working on DIY#2, Digital Photo Story assignment. All the details about this assignment can be found on the Digital Photo Story Assignment website. It is due by October 8 (Sun), 11:55 PM.
2 point deducted for each day that a Weekly Reflection is late. Weekly Reflections no longer accepted FIVE days past due date without a prior consent of instructor. It (Weekly Reflection #1) cannot be submitted after Sept 22 5:00 PM.